Wednesday, December 16, 2009

cat's vs dogs

Since coming to college and living in apartments I've run into the 'no dogs' rule quite often. I'm honestly trying to make heads or tails of it. I can fully understand why apartment owners don't want dogs of big breeds or nasty temperament; it's simply a liability issue. Understandably, apartments also tend to charge pet deposits and monthly fees. Granted cats use liter boxes; ergo they don't mess all over the property. Also most people claim that cats are 'small' and they 'don't make noise'. Well to be completely honest I have seen some cat's that are fatter than a small dog. Then, you have some breed's of dog that are smaller than most 'normal' sized cats. There should be no reason that landlords can't simply put a size limit on pets. If using the bathroom is an issue then they can enforce 'baggy' rules. The apartment that I currently live in has camera's all over the place and I can't imagine that one would be able to get away with letting there animal mess all over the property. On the other hand, with a cat, they use liter boxes. Now that may seem all well and fine until the owner doesn't clean the litter box and the smell of fecal matter leaks into the hallways. As a matter of fact, my apartment complex is currently having problems with tenants throwing there 'nasty cat litter' down the trash chutes. The other issue most people will claim is that dogs bark. Well I am here to tell you what people cats meow. Some times cats meow very loudly and obnoxiously. Whereas some dogs do not bark or can be taught when not to bark. If a dog is brought up in an apartment and learns the sounds it will not bark all that much if at all. Personally, i have nothing against cats and I have considered adopting one. My sole problem is that I LOVE dogs and for no reason I'm not allowed to have them in my apartment.

How can we fix this matter? Simple. As a landlord, sit down and look at the difference between cats and dogs and the problems that come along with both. Develop standards that tenants must abide by when dealing with there animals 'restroom' habits. Also develop different deposits that the tenants must be aware of relating to damages that there specific animal could cause to the room. Set breed limits. It is not a big deal to sit down and come up with a plan. Landlords simply need to take the time to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment