Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Presidential 'oops'

So recently the president went over to Japan. This is not an uncommon task for a president. However, most presidents tend to shake hands with everyone they meet. It is a long standing tradition that shows respect but doesn't make the president look weak or beneath the other leaders. Now, I must say that my opinion is a little different. I'm not disagreeing with a good firm handshake. I think a good firm handshake can say a lot about a person. However, there is nothing wrong with taking other countries traditions into consideration when visiting them. Upon visiting Japan the president engaged in a very deep bow to the emperor.
ObamaEmperorAkihitomichikomandelnganafpgtyMany people scoffed at President Obama for his actions. I may not be his biggest fan but I do respect him for this action. The bow shown in the picture above is honorable especially to elders in Japan. He gained a lot of respect from elders in Japan that day. Instead of laughing at the president I think we should all take a lesson from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment