Wednesday, December 16, 2009

May I see your ID please?

So can you count how many times you have been asked for your ID? I can count on both of my hands. It's not just an age issue either. It's an identity issue. First, let's address age. When you go to the movies to see an 'R' rated movie you are supposed to be ID to make sure that you 17 years of age or older. The same principle applies when you buy video games. Mature games are rated mature because they are not intended for people under the age of 17 or 18. I have watched friends of mine walk into video stores and buy mature rated games and the store clerks will not give a second thought to whether or not they are 18. On the other hand, when you buy cigarettes or alcohol you are almost always asked to show an ID. Why is this? Is it because the laws on selling to minors in the substance field are more strict than those in the fields of video games and movies? Now, you may argue that a kid is not going to make a stupid decision because of a video game or movie because it does not influence there health or mind like substance does. This may be the case to some but to to some kids their minds are very impressionable. Fact of the matter is that if they are under 17 parents should be making the decisions on whether or not their child is mature enough to know the difference between what is lawful and acceptable and what is not. Sadly, I have been asked for my school ID to get onto the city buses than i have been asked for my drivers licence on mature purchases.

The other side of the coin is identity problems. When you pay with a credit or debit car at any facility you are supposed to have your card signed. The cashier/clerk is supposed to check the back of your card for the signature. If your card is not signed they are supposed to ask you for your ID plain and simple. It is really not a hard thing to do. I purposefully do NOT sign the back of my card so that the cashier/clerk will ask for identification. This way, if my card is ever stolen, it will not be able to be used. Some people even have 'ask for ID' embedded in there card. They pay extra money so that people will ask for ID. Yet, they still don't. I simply don't understand why it is so hard to say "may I see your ID please?" and check the age.

No comments:

Post a Comment